On 21st July 2018 we are participating in the Swansea 5K Pretty Muddy in memory of Shane Pitman. We want to not only raise as much money as we can to help fight this horrible disease, but raise awareness of Stomach Cancer.
- Poor appetite
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Vague discomfort in the abdomen
- A sense of fullness after eating a small meal
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Swelling or fluid build-up in the abdomen
- Blood in the stool
These are the symptoms Shane had and weren't thought to be anything to worry about. By the time Shane took the symptoms seriously he was already terminal. He went the doctors and was sent home, only being taken seriously once it got to the point he could not eat or drink anything without vomitting. As he was so young they ran other tests before testing him for cancer. within 2 weeks of being diagnosed a man who 2 months previous was seemingly healthy, running round after his kids living a normal life passed away at the age of 26 leaving behind his kids and fiance.
We need to be more educated on other types and symptoms.
- Last year 6,740 people in the UK were diagnosed with stomach cancer.
- Last year there were around 4,600 stomach cancer deaths in the UK.
- Only 15% people diagnosed with stomach cancer in the UK survive
- 70% of stomach cancer cases are diagnosed at a late stage
These statistics are not good enough! We need doctors to take cancer more seriously and do the tests before its too late. We need to make a stand, we need to make a change. Please, please, please educate yourselves on cancer, it might save your life.
As we now know; you can get stomach cancer at any age and there is a very high risk. So, even if you don't donate today please take the time to read the symptoms and if you think any of them relate to you...
GET CHECKED OUT AND TRUST YOUR INSTINCT. YOU KNOW WHEN SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT WITH YOUR BODY. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE IT TOO LATE!